A lot of us have already heard about the Montessori system of childhood education, which is very popular nowadays. Maria Montessori, an Italian doctor and professor, came up with her own successful system of teaching children a hundred years ago at the beginning of the 20th century. Some parents still dream of sending their child to Montessori day school of Brooklyn and some even try to teach their little ones according to such a system.
Who is Montessori and what are the features of Montessori Brooklyn NY?
Maria Montessori, the first woman doctor and teacher in Italy, invented her own system of educating kids. The essence of her method can be described in five words: “Help me do it myself.” Montessori believed that every child strives for knowledge from birth. All parents and educators of Montessori day school in Brooklyn need to do is to create a developing environment, teach children to use objects and let them choose what, how and how much to play with.
The professor had an experience of working in school with children, which was successful: many pupils of such schools as Montessori in Brooklyn were able to pass exams at the level of general education facilities.
After some time, Montessori began working with “ordinary” children. She was offered to start organizing Montessori schools in Brooklyn for children of three to seven years old for residents of some houses. This is how the first “House of the Child” appeared. There Montessori continued to develop her own developmental methods and discovered new ones.
What are the sensitive periods of Montessori preschool Brooklyn?
Sensitive periods are the age at which a child learns easily, naturally, certain things. If the time has not come yet, or, conversely, is missed, studying for will be uninteresting and difficult. Among the main sensitive periods, Montessori day school of Brooklyn singled out six:
- Period of perception of the order (0 – 3 years). Due to Brooklyn Montessori school, it’s more difficult to teach a four-year-old to clean up after himself than a two-year-old. Children are taught not only to put toys in place, but also, for example, to wipe up spilled water, wash the dishes and participate in general cleaning.
- Period of sensory development (0 – 5.5 years). A long period when the child learns the world through sounds, smells and sensations.
- The period of movement and action development (1 – 4 years). Time for playgrounds, stairs, slides and rocking chairs. According to the specialists of Montessori schools in Brooklyn, the child should actively develop coordination and strengthen different muscle groups that will help them in the future.
- Period of perception of small objects (1.5 – 5.5 years). The very fine motor skills of a child. It’s beneficial to use the simplest materials to improve fine motor skills: transferring beads, beans, peas or other cereals and collecting puzzles.
- Period of shaping social skills (2.5 – 6 years). However, it makes no sense to force a child to say hello or to be polite.
- Period of speech development (0 – 6 years). The experts of Montessori day school of Brooklyn state that if the child doesn’t speak a year, it’s okay. Children’s speech develops up to six years of age.
Benefits of joining Brooklyn Montessori
Visiting Montessori school in Brooklyn will give your child an opportunity to develop according to their wishes, natural abilities and talents. Firstly, the educator shows children how to use a particular material, checks how they understand the essence of the exercise and whether they want to perform it.
Secondly, our providers closely observe the child and help them learn new skills. For example, when the little one is uninterested, a teacher creates a language zone around the pupil, shows them other games to choose from.
What’s more, Brooklyn heights Montessori school educators communicate with kids, but do not “push through” their own opinion. Finally, we help children organize work, but not do it instead of them. At the same time, we make sure little ones finish working with a sense of satisfaction. Our friendly team struggles to listen to kids and help them in all their beginnings! So, don’t miss the chance to become a part of Montessory family!